Perry Ridge Wilderness Initiative
“The Slhu7kin Perry Ridge Wilderness Preserve Initiative is a united campaign by the Sinixt Nation and the Perry Ridge Water Users Association to protect Perry Ridge in the Slocan Valley of the West Kootenays of BC.”
Perry Ridge needs protection from road building, logging and industrial development because:
- Perry Ridge has been identified as a major intact area in the southern portion of the Inland Temperate Rainforest Region.
- Perry Ridge serves as an important connectivity corridor for wildlife and habitat for species at risk.
- The Sinixt Nation have identified Perry Ridge as an important cultural wetland and is the location of many identified and unidentified significant archaeological sites
- Perry Ridge is a unique geological landform and provides domestic drinking and agricultural water to hundreds of farms and homes along the base of the mountain.
- Perry Ridge is part of the scenic visual corridor along Highway 6 and as a major intact area is very important to the developing sustainable tourism industry in the Slocan Valley. (e.g. Cross Canada Trail system – Rails to Trails along the Slocan River, Slocan River kayak and canoe adventures)
Thank You, PRWUA